Thursday, March 1, 2007

My politics...

My political views are as such: I am a vehement supporter of gun rights, I even believe that perhaps automatic weapons should be legal, albeit with registration. I am against Illegal Immigration, I'm against abortion although ensure of what the Fed's role in this matter should be. Overall I feel that the government's role in moral Issues should be limited, and even more limited when it comes to privacy issues.

I also strongly share Libertarian's belief for the importance of the belief of the independence of Local governments. Local governments are always more effiencient and more accountable to the people than the Federal Government; perhaps even more important, strengthening them satisfies the sense of community that feeds our deep social yearnings than seperate humans from other animals with more lone penchants. Just as well, should the Fed ever fall into trouble; with the increasing likelihood seen with the current debt and trade defecit; such social structures make it possible for a community to rise again from ruin.

What seperates me from Libertarians, however, is that I believe that sometimes Corporations need to be regulated in order to ensure that the rights of the people are ultimately protected. The trend now, is that an increasing amount of information on private citizens is easily available. One such example is the "Gay America Megafile", a file containing intimate personal information on all known gays in the united states.

In total free market; as Libertarians suggest; Government Tyranny is replaced by tyranny of corporations. What makes this worse is that Corporations are not responsible to voters; only shareholders, and the only thing shareholders are interested in is profit. By making an investor's only the initial investment liable for loss; a corporation essentially is granted more rights than personhood, by with motivation only to profit.

I identify myself most with the current Green Party, philosophies, although I recognize they're unlikly to get elected unless we switch to a proportional representation system.

No comments: